Imphal, May 15: Authorities on Friday confirmed the safe release of 28 civilians belonging to different communities who had been detained following the deadly ambush in Manipur’s Kangpokpi district on May 13. Officials said the releases were made possible through coordinated efforts involving the state administration, security forces, civil society organisations and community leaders amid escalating tensions in Kangpokpi, Senapati and nearby hill districts.

The violence began after unidentified gunmen ambushed civilian vehicles at Zero Point along the Kotlen–Kotzim road in Kangpokpi district, killing three church leaders and injuring four others. On the same day, another civilian was killed while his wife sustained critical injuries in Noney district. The incidents reportedly sparked retaliatory detentions, with several civilians allegedly taken to undisclosed locations in areas including Leilon Vaiphei and Saparmeina. Among those released were 12 Naga women from Konsakhul village, who were freed at Makhan village after allegedly being held captive by armed militants. Officials also confirmed the release of 14 Kuki civilians — four men and 10 women — who were reportedly detained in Senapati district before being handed over to security personnel.
In addition, two Salesian brothers linked to Don Bosco institutions, including one from Nagaland, were released separately, police said. According to a police statement, security forces launched immediate search operations in the ambush-hit areas and surrounding villages soon after the attack. The state government also initiated intensive discussions with community leaders, civil society organisations and security agencies to facilitate the safe release of those detained.
Officials maintained that efforts are still underway to trace and rescue the remaining individuals believed to be in captivity.
Earlier, Manipur Home Minister Govindas Konthoujam said the government was working closely with civil society groups and political leaders to prevent further escalation and ensure the safety of civilians.
The recent incidents have deepened concerns over the worsening security situation in Manipur’s hill districts, where repeated violence, targeted attacks and retaliatory actions continue to fuel tensions among communities.
No arrests have yet been announced in connection with the ambush killings or the alleged abductions.





Users Today : 16
Total Users : 31323